Spin

Spin
ready to spin 100 miles

Friday, July 25, 2014

Time Flies When You're Having Fun!


Looking at the top of my farmthisway newsletter, I realized that we are already in week 10 of our 24 week CSA distributions.  Looking back we have already received so many wonderful items from annual flowers and hanging baskets (I always take the portulaca - even I can't kill them) to herbs (I know have a thriving fresh herb garden - minus most of the parsley which I managed to kill) to yummy fresh produce, which always comes in quantities big enough to share &  still have enough left over to freeze, can, etc.  My freezer is starting to fill up with some of the yummy things we have gotten.  I've got lots of strawberry jam stored up, even despite giving it as end of the year teacher presents.  And we've made a few family, friends and neighbors happy as well, by sharing a little of our farmfresh goodies.

This week brought perhaps the happiest of arrivals since fresh strawberries...THE FIRST CORN!!!  We love corn on the cob.  Caitlyn couldn't even wait to get it home on Wednesday and ate one ear raw at about 9 AM...meaning it was only about 3 hours old, as it was picked fresh at 6 that morning, as it is every day at the farm.  I'm perfectly OK eating corn as a side dish every night for the next couple of weeks.  It doesn't get much fresher than that and we all enjoy it.  The first night the corn starred as the main attraction, even though it was a side to the pancetta and kale I had sauteed up to go with it.  I know that when we get more next week, we will start to put some aside to freeze for later use in corn chowder, etc.  Pretty soon it will be tomato season, and the corn makes a wonderful addition to our homemade salsa as well!  

Along with the corn, and many other goodies, we got some more zucchini and summer squash.  At the grocery store the other day, they were demonstrating a delicious grilled zucchini and summer squash with an Asian Miso Ginger sauce.  My daughter and I loved it, so we decided to replicate it at home.  I thought I had ginger..but I thought wrong, so instead, I used soy, soba sauce, garlic olive oil, and sesame oil as the marinade, grilled until tender and then sprinkled with some toasted sesame seeds.  It was delicious, and gone very quickly.  

The first of the green bell peppers arrived this week too.  Those are so tasty that they didn't even make it to a salad, as they are very wonderful sliced and eaten plain.  Maybe in the next few weeks, some of them will make it to be stuffed peppers.  It is hard to believe how fast the summer is flying by, and how we are already closing in on the halfway point for our CSA membership for this year.  If you didn't do it this year, maybe 2015 should be the year you try farmthisway CSA.  This is our 3rd year, and we have never been disappointed! 

No comments:

Post a Comment