Spin

Spin
ready to spin 100 miles

Sunday, August 17, 2014

On the side

Sometimes our veggies from our farmthisway CSA share are the STAR of our meal, like when we all decide to eat 3 ears of sweet corn then can't eat anything else, or when I make squash casserole, but sometimes, they play a supporting role. And that's OK too.  What would the leading actress be without the supporting cast. 

This week I discovered a new instant family favorite.  We all love quesadillas, but this time, I sauteed up some ground beef from Robbins Nest, with some of my farmthisway bell peppers, onions and tomatoes, and made Cheeseburger quesadillas.  The veggies were there and tasty, just not screaming out "LOOK AT ME!  I'M A STAR!" Another fun use was in a potato hash.  Diced up baby fingerling potatoes with the green peppers and onions again, and sauteed as a side for breakfast for dinner, along with our farm fresh brown eggs! 

Besides that, we've used the tomatoes, with the peppers and onions to make an individual batch of sauce for our lasagna this week.  And this week, most of our blueberries got frozen for later use (though my son managed to find a few before I sealed them in their freezer bags for future smoothie use!). 

The white corn this week was PHENOMENAL and shines as the star of any meal, even if it is "just" on the side...And our jalapeno peppers got their first run as an appetizer, stuffed with cream cheese and wrapped in bacon.  YUM!  One of my favorites, and so easy!  I like that the jalapenos are a perfect pair with the creamy cream cheese and yummy bacon.  Not too HOT but spicy enough.  Even the kids love them!

Another week and suddenly I am realizing that summer is ending soon.  The kids go back to school in a couple of weeks and that means pretty soon the leaves will start turning.  But fear not...I also no that along with that comes hardy winter squashes, mums, and pumpkins!  We love all of our seasons, especially the 24 weeks of CSA season!

No comments:

Post a Comment